- Yes, I have been a hard working nurse for 33 years without a raise in 3 years.Health care premiums keep going up and I will never ever make 250,000. My husband has been unemployed for the last year and my income keeps going from middle class to a little better than poverty. I work in the health care system and have 10 years till retirement with a pension that is a joke 18.00 a month for every year worked . That will barely cover the health care premium. The dream of retirement is a long way off for me at the way this economy is going. Something's gotta give!
- —Guest Hard working nurse
- What a bunch of spoiled Americans. I make $20,000 a year. Stop your whining. Your making my stomach turn.
- —Guest fred1554
- Sitting hear reading all comments and finding it amazing that this president was re- elected. No one here appears to agree with any of his policy's. government is way to big and very wreck less with our money. When challenged their very smug. They use the system to their advantage. They act like they care but at the end of the day they are very disheartening.
- —Guest Mike
We Are Being Snookered!
- I was reading about the 1% on this site and it led me to a chart that explained where the federal revenue comes from. 86% comes from individuals and only 9% comes from corporate sources plus 5% misc. totalling 100%. That ratio is totally out of wack and should be an equal percentage for both individuals and corporate entities. How about 50-50 percentages (equal burden) so individuals (including the 1%) pay LESS taxes and corporations pay MORE! We are paying for most of the tab in this country and are being ripped off and snookered! Wake up and lobby the people who have the power to correct this now! Who agrees with me?? Signed. Enlightened
- —Guest Enlightened
Citizen For Fair Taxes!
- To be fair, the tax code should be a flat tax rate against all income above poverty level. The more you make, the more you pay!
- —Guest T. Reed
tax the rich
- the rich already have the best tax cut: they don't pay social security or Medicare taxes on income over $118K. No SSI tax on high income, bonues, nada. That's 6.2% savings. Consider how much money the rich save by not paying all that SSI tax, which the poor and middle class pays BEFORE deductions. They can keep their Bush tax cuts if they start paying SSI tax on ALL earnings, like everyone else does.
The Promise of America
- This country was founded on individual freedom and the pursuit of happiness. We are all confusing income inequality/redistribution with compromising our fundamental freedoms. Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime. I vote for freedom from taxation and education to raise all boats. But you need to be self reliant.
- —Guest I Have a Dream
Grow up and quit complaining
- Jesus Christ people. Quit your complaining. Listen to you greedy idiots. No suggestions just b1tching about higher taxes. You all cant make it in california, boston or NY on 250k or more a year? Put down the latte and fire the housecleaner and larn how to budget. i have 3 kids make about 82k a year and we are doing great. yea we cant say yes to a lot of things but we live with it. I hope the dems get their wish and make all you bastards over 250k pay more.
- —Guest JP
Make drastic cuts not tax people!
- Why should anybody have to pay more for the government's mistakes? Obama already has a plan to spend that extra tax money he may or may not get. So he isn't going to help pay off the debt he is going to create more. Dont give in conservatives me and my check are counting on you! Make the govt make drastic cuts instead! For instance im sure nobody would be broken hearted if congress took a pay cut or obama got to take a few less rides on Air Force one would they? Also they could get repaid with interest all the companies they bailed out without asking us that would help.
- —Guest Amanda
How about the bottom 47% do their fair
- It's Not a revenue problem its a spending problem, Stop the entitlements, Stop the cycle of welfare. It's easy (1) Finish High School (2) Don't have a child when your 15 (3) when you finish HS, Either go into the military,College, trade school, or get a job. Basically develop some skills. (4) Stop blaming others for YOUR failures (5) Work hard (6) Live within your means. Over my career I've been in tons of apts and homes, many were low income housing, how are you considered poor with a brand new vehicle, flat screen TV's, gaming consoles, DVD's, Video games, 50 pairs of Jordan's, brand new clothes? if you have time to shop for all that stuff, why don't you have time to shop...you have money for cigarettes, booze, and weed yet you cant feed your kids? Please quit blaming people, your only entitled to the opportunity to succeed which you have Don't think you have opportunity? Then why are immigrants 60% more likely to become millionaires! B/C they actually were poor
- —Guest Randy
- wants to kill the american dream. working hard and getting to the top of the income bracket should not be punished by higher taxes. all this "action" against the top earners is doing is making it so people like me striving to improve financially end up lowering the bar. no longer will a wife and husband shoot for making a six figure income. also great points have been made pointing out the difference between established wealth and salary. poor people who have no intention of moving out of poverty and just want more "free stuff" love this guy. it's sad how twisted our countries values have become.
- —Guest julio
Regional cost of living differential
- 250k to support a family in Boston, NY, CA is not rich. With tax increases proposed my family could no longer afford astronomical cost of daycare which I need to stay employed. Our house is under water so we couldn't move and we live modestly as it is. Daycare is the other mortgage payment. There is no incentive in this country to work hard anymore. People do better on unemployment and get to stay home and take care of their kids. Maybe this wouldn't be the case if I lived in Arkansas but I can't get a job there. Why can't the government consider cost of living regionally when they dramatically call people rich who are absolutely not.
- The term "small business" as used by the Republicans is a smoke screen to protect the truly wealthy.I don't believe they can win this fight.
- —Guest Realistic
Its in the numbers
- Incredible, Focus on the real numbers not the %'s. 20% of 250k... 50k..... 20% of 50K....10K. It is not about nor ever has been about how gets taxed and at what rate. It is about how are spending has gotten so far out of control. Flat tax rate, sure. Close loopholes, why not. Ok, now what? Real simple quit spending what you don't have.
- —Guest TriCor
Eradicate Filing Jointly
- I say do away with filing jointly. How is that a married couple (w/out kids) can make twice as much single person but yet theyre in the same tax bracket? I can only assume that was implemented when the women were expected to stay home? If so, this post-feminist revolution era, and its no long appropriate. Mistyz123- LOL OMG complains of people wanting something for nothing when she doesnt even work! God Lord. I could go on but it's pointless to even argue with people that stupid.
- —Guest ArettaS