What do you think is the best way to reduce the U.S. national debt? Share Your Views
- We must end the federal reserve and follow the constitution. This is the only way to reverse the debt.
- —Guest c. mount
Ways to reduce USA depts
- Very High taxes on unhealthy companies like McDonalds, cigarettes, candy - and tax on things that are unhealthy because this costs a Lot of money at the Health system and hospitals in the end. High environmental taxes on consumption on cars, Oil, airplanes ect. A national demateralization campaign ... combined with focus on what makes People happy.
- —Guest Lene
The national debt can never be reduced.
- The paper cash you carry around in your pocket and its digital equivalent in your bank account are all created from debt via bonds sales from the United States Treasury and those US Treasuries are purchased by the federal reserve. Each dollar is born as a unit of debt and if the debt were to be paid off all dollars would be returned and destroyed leaving $0dollars in the system. That's why central bankers don't want a deflationary collapse. The money supply must always be increased in a debt based fiat money system or it implodes........so to answer ...it can't and won't ever be paied off. People around the world will lose faith in the dollar and all paper fiat money and render it valueless. But the debt will remain. Its so simple its ingenious. Too bad the american people have no clue what's coming soon after The Affordiable Healthcare act is fully implemented.
- —Guest Jason
- How about isolating the difference between federal and corporate debt. Failing publicization. If the American Corporate Estate concentrated on the effective repayment of their loans from the Global Financial Crisis you would think that the interest from these loans would effectively repay the federal debt. Chief Infrastructure and Amenity (the military) payments would need to continue to be paid by the government. However the key objective would be to get out of defecit. As long as your currency is assured by real bullion. Inflation would not affect the nation as long as the corporate and government reserves aren't hampered by the chokehold of the money lenders. Australia just increased our debt to 500 billion dollars our government budget was 1 billion dollars ten years ago and we were in surplus 12 months ago. We've blamed government mismanagment 6 weeks after the election. Controversially the American purchase of public assetts could speed the recovery of a surplus in a few years.
- —Guest Aaron
The Government is NOT A HOUSEHOLD
- Paying down the federal debt is true socialism - it would transfer the ownership of assets from the private sector to the public sector. The government's debt is the private sector's asset. And the interest payments with a fiat currency can always be met. The only real constraint is inflation. And there is no inflation now. But there is the threat of deflation,and that would be catastrophic.
- —Guest Dismayed
A Fair and Reasonable Budget
- There is more than enough money in this country to accomplish our goals of providing good education and jobs, maintaining a safety net for those in need, providing tax fairness, honoring our commitments to Social Security etc. within the framework of a balanced budget. The People's Budget provides a fair and reasonable plan for accomplishing those goals through a combination of program cuts and additional revenue. You can read about it at: http://cpc.grijalva.house.gov/the-peoples-budget/
- —Guest NWCoaster
solution to dump the tea partiers
- Simple. It will take a little time, but RECALL them all. It's been done.
- —Guest 2Zwaantjes
National Debt is really Grand Theft
- If you want to understand what the National debt really is, look at the price of Gold. In 1914 is was $20 an ounce. In 2011 it hit $1,500 per ounce. That is because our money is supposed to be backed by something that is authentic, valuable, and scarce. The reason we use paper money is because it is convenient; it's value is based on what is backing it. The reason the Debt is so high is because the Central Bank(run by our government) keeps putting "Paper" into the economy with out any value behind it! (since about 1914) It's a lot like you writing a check to yourself for $100.00 but you only have $20.00 in the bank. You have a few days before it goes through; but you don't have the money. So you write another check for $200 to cover that one and for expenses. and so on and so on and so on. The difference is that you or I would go to prison. But since it is your government, they just keep doing it and creating more bogus "Federal Agencies" to embezzle. That is SOCIALISM!
Reduce National Debt
- STOP THE CENTRAL BANK FROM PUTTING FAKE MONEY INTO OUR ECONOMY LIKE THEY HAVE BEEN DOING SINCE 1914!
reducine americas debt
- Set up a dedicated fund Americans can donate to, small amounts, large amounts, that would be used only to pay down the national debt. Response from Kimberly: There already is a site at Treasury.gov. Here's the link https://www.pay.gov/paygov/forms/formInstance.html?agencyFormId=23779454
- —Guest Ben
Tax the 1% the rate from the 60's 70's
- In the 60's and 70's the top 1% used to pay 90% taxes and they were still living quite well. Since Reagan things started to change for their master plan was to kill the middle class. Now the challenge is to undo this scheme. It won't be easy and may require a new revolution which will come in due time.
- —Guest BigJim
CANCEL REFUNDS FOR FIVE YEARS.
- HOLD PAYMENT OF REFUNDS TO ASSIST WITH LOWERING THE NATIONAL DEBT, OVER THE NEXT FIVE YEARS.
- —Guest rev. neal d. butler
Do something please
- Obviously doing nothing isn't going to help, i'm 17 years old and this is going to affect my generation along with my children, grandchildren etc. We have two/three options, raise taxes, or cut spending. But our government decides to do neither. (I realize they are doing a little but not enough to have an impact) The fact that they sit back and ignore it absolutely frustrates me knowing i will have to pay for their ignorance. No one wants to increase taxes because it will hurt their image as president, which shows that they aren't out for the good of the country, people have to realize that we HAVE to do something . Its so simple, why cant we do it? I'm not saying im happy about raising taxes, but i know we cant keep adding to the debt. By increasing gasoline tax by 25 cents per gallon would generate over 60 billion dollars in revenue. I don't like it, but i sure as hell agree with it. Sooner or later these foreign countries are going to claim the money we owe them. Then what?
- —Guest Seth
Cut back funding, and raise taxes
- Stop funding military action for a week, stop obama care and raise taxes by a bit, until its under control.
- —Guest Gabe
- Will you work for as little pay as a 10 year old in Japan making Nikes? I don't owe anyone. If foreign banks want there money back come get it. Burn all of our paper currency. Pay us with gold or silver. Place large tariffs on imports. Keep troops in afganistan to continue helping farmers grow opium. Drop out of the u.n. and global economy. Reduce OUR government.
- —Guest Tony