From the article: The U.S. Trade Deficit
The U.S. slipped from #1 to #2 position in the World Economic Forum (WEF) Global Competitiveness Report for 2010. (Switzerland is #1). The U.S. fell as a result of the crisis in its financial markets and weaker macroeconomic fundamentals.What can be done to make the U.S. more competitive, and create more U.S. jobs? What Do You Think?
Driving the vacume
- Our government spending does not reflect our gross domestic product, government workers are sporting the latest office chairs, cars, and the latest technological devices. Our children are not raised understanding American military history from our point of view. I think that we could increase competitiveness and create more jobs by cutting government wages across the board, tie government wages to the gross domestic product. We could ramp up weapon and weapon system production with American steal and technology. We could create incentives including fuel subsidies for companies returning manufacturing or creating new manufacturing in our country. Also we could defund obese government agency's that have forgotten there place in our humble society. We could also drill oil and natural gas. If we ramp up our productivity, bristle militarily, create just a whisper of nationalism, and pay off our debts we could be driving the vacuums instead of inventing them.
- —Guest Josiah Fox
Buy Quality American Made Products
- Encourage Americans to buy quality American-made products which will last longer than many of the cheap foreign made products. Buying a cheap, poorly made foreign item for $10 less than a well made American product does not save you money. You will have to replace the poorly made item over and over, thus you lose the savings and pay two or thee times more than if you had bought the better made product that would last. Each American should insist on buying quality American made goods. Your individual buying choices can stimulate our economy and maybe get you a job or a raise! When you kid yourself that you are getting a good bargain by buying poorly made foreign products, you are hurting yourself, economically, both short term and long term. Government statistics state that the U.S. imports more than we export. We import 95 billion dollars of apparel a year, for example. Americans can find quality, American made clothes and other American made products to buy.
- As I am concerned capital deficit and others economical recessions are over coming by so much problems like unemployment. Trade deficit means there isn't wide connections through the world. Example: America hasn't wide connections with my country as China is doing. Maybe US's goods and materials are very expensive and can't handled by our people but they can send goods which are familiar with the original ones and also you can import ours. Anyway US must participate with international trading system sufficiently especially in Africa so as a business man I want to trade with US American Civilized peoples and I need their supporting ideas and supporting sources.
and making more empoyment which will be
- when all the patritic companies of usa will ammalgamate then there will be saving of capital egmcdonald,kfc in one roof no loss to cometitive company and saving of capital to invest
- —Guest consumer and demand suppy cycle will inc
It's all our fault
- We have done this to ourselves by not ensuring that those that hold public office are held to account. I believe that our economic problems stem from poor tax policy and financial regulation. Simply stated the reason that there are few jobs in the USA is because investors believe they can earn a better return elsewhere. When one invests in purely speculative things such as weather real estate will go up, wealth is not created, the ONLY thing that creates wealth is LABOR. If you want more jobs tax speculation at a higher rate, make any financial concern keep a minimum 25% share of any thing they sell.If this had been the law of the land there would have been no financial melt down. Give tax breaks to firms based on the number of employees they have. Oh yeah and stop the wealthy from buying all the congressmen. Monopolies are illegal.
- —Guest Michael Lickley
Mistake in article
- Pretty sure there's only about 1.3 billion people living in China "It has to divide this production up among nearly 1.4 trillion residents." (Thanks for pointing this out! The correction has been made. Kimberly)
- —Guest cloylover
- the obvious question to me is, why is this recovery taking so long. i believe the answer is twofold. one, u.s. businesses have moved a huge number of jobs overseas, this action has flattened demand because many families do not have the disposable income that they once had. anytime you squeeze workers wages and benefits it has a negative affect on demand. two, most americans of today do not look at the label-of-origin when they buy. there are still many companies in the u.s. that are very competitive, but the purchaser must look to see where the product is made. if you buy a foreign car for example you are basically sending 75% of the money to that country. and then wondering why there are so few jobs in america. when we buy as much as we can from american companies we are strenghtening our economy. when we buy from a foreign country we are strenghtening their economy.
- —Guest r mill
Support American Business
- I believe the key is in supporting American Businesses. Let me explain myself... One of our main problems is the incredible debt that we have acquired. When we import so much from foreign nations, we have to borrow. The greater the margin between our imports and exports, the greater amount we have to borrow. By decreasing our dependence on other nations and buying from our own businesses, we can reduce our importations dramatically. This in turn will reduce our dependence on other nations and will increase demand for american products which in turn will increase the demand for American jobs. One professor estimated that if the trade deficit were cut in half, about 5 million jobs could be created. To put that in perspective, 5 million jobs created would slash the unemployment rate by well over 3%! The american economy would thrive, and exports could possibly jump to. Overall, support of American goods and services could be the key factor in jump-starting our economy.
- —Guest ManForAmerica
United states Export
- I know state government creates different programs to support the exporters, I really think this is great, because export is billions of dollars profits which are not fully explored. There is not too much competition within USA, therefore now is the best time to explore the export especially if you are a manufacturer.
- —Guest ally
all gov"ts are corrupt and we r suckers
- big bussiness and gov"t are playing us for fools (which we are) .They make the rules and control the game. All good ideas to wipe out unemployment and also welfare will never be put into law because the big guys will never let it happen.One simple law with the stroke of THE PEN by the President can do it. Here it is " Anything sold in America and can be made in America ,must be made in America by American citizens." Any company from any country can only sell their product if they set up their factory or factories here and hire American citizens .
- —Guest g6234
Creative Idea's from the people!
- In general the public (we the people) are creative beings! When the people are allowed to create a business via their own ingenuity/ entrepreneurship, the public will eventually support via of supply and demand. New idea's new inventions catch on fast especially when it advances us into the future. So why not create an economy where ideas and inventions are valued over becoming employed! Where businesses are started based on the ideas and inventions of it's people! Children should go to school not to be taught based on a systematic system but to have their creative talents and abilities developed; thus at an early age inner ideas can become outward creations; thereby establishing businesses at a younger age verses becoming employed. Where people have businesses and they work together for the greater good verses making someone rich via being employed. Thus, all the businesses will support one another and support their nation and advance over seas and to other countries
With a New and Sustainable VISION
- EDERP is the Eight Dimensional Economic Recovery Plan for America; it establishes the Eight Pillars of our economic engines; creating sustainable and fundamentally sound economic engines and drivers for our economy.
- —Guest Kimberly
- Most Americans already speak English, a powerhouse language in international business and diplomacy, so why don’t we have more schools introduce many different, foreign languages to compete in this global society? Then we could hire American translators especially in areas like the Middle East where misunderstandings can have disastrous consequences. We can BUY in any language, but we might have better luck if we SELL using the languages of our customers. It wouldn’t hurt if our diplomats were bilingual either, as I have heard that some of them are not…and so on. We have a reputation for expecting the rest of the world to use English. What a breath of fresh air if other countries could see that Americans cared enough to learn their languages, assuming that we get serious about second languages. Networking and the ability to communicate will improve if we understand both sides of the conversation. This may seem like a minor change, but we need every possible advantage. Mandarin, Ara
- What do I think? She clearly doesn't know what she is talking about or is not expressing it in a way that makes any sense to anyone who knows about imports and exports. Our service exports are fractional, meaningless
- —Guest Joe O
there are qualified in the usa
- Sometime I think that businesses that say they can not find qualified is an excuse to export jobs or import workers because businesses want to pay the least amount for profit. While this is what any entity should be concern about (profit), when this is the only thing it leads to export of jobs or import of workers. Can it be that so many coming out school and so many unemployed can not fill these so called unfilled because of unqualified. Continue say and performing the same why and the result will be the same. Adding federal penalty for importing workers while above 5% unemployment and penalty for exporting work while unemployment is above 5%. Sometimes I think USA forgets it has US citizens inside USA.
- —Guest ac
1-15 of 66Next